Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers Lilypie Second Birthday tickers

Tuesday, August 21, 2007

Beautiful Baby

Abigail Jane Zimmerman

Grandpa Stewart!

Grandma Stewart and Abbey!

Proud Grandparents!

Just a few minutes old!

First Family Photo!

Wow what an amazing last few days! I will try to remember as much as I can (drugs have a funny effect on the mind) and tell the birth story of Abigail Jane Zimmerman.

We were scheduled to arrive at the hospital at 7:30 on Sunday August 26th, however when we called to see if that was still ok they told us to wait until 8:30 thus only giving me more time to get nervous. My mom and dad were here early to hang out so we went out to eat and then back to Shane’s mom and dad’s to show my parents where they would be staying for the night. We then went to the hospital to get checked in and settled in the room. We were greeted by a very friendly staff and I got a room and got changed into my lovely standard issue hospital gown, a lovely shade green pladish pattern.

Once in the nurse came in we got started on Cervadil, this had to be inserted and stay in place for 12 hours. I had to lay flat on my back for one hour, it got to be uncomfortable but that was only the start of things. I then continued to stay in bed and be checked every so often through out the night with no progress. I was having back pain and very mild contractions but nothing to bat an eye at! Morning came and still nothing, I was getting depressed because I wanted something to have changed, we then had to discuss what we were going to do next. We decided to go ahead and start the Pitocen which was about 10:30 am. This really got things going in the contraction department, I could tell something was going on! Still not enough to make me miserable but just uncomfortable. The nurse came in and stripped my membranes again, then my doctor came in and punctured my bag of waters and I started having short but very severe contractions and was then asked if I would like to have something to take the edge off…I said YES…so I was given some Nubain and it was wonderful! I then got to go to sleep for a few hours, then I woke up and the nurses wanted to insert an internal contraction monitor because the external monitors were not picking up Abbey’s heartbeat or my contractions like they should, while they were doing this they broke my water and it was a flood! The nurses were laughing so hard they could hardly do what they were supposed to be doing, water was all over the bed in puddles and running onto the floor they could not believe how much fluid I had and just kept laughing, which in turn made me laugh and helped me get through! Well shortly after they cleaned me up I started having horrible horrible contractions I then got my second and final shot of Nubain (this was my last resort for pain relief before the epidural and I was trying to wait as long as I could because I was only dilated to 2cm and they like for you to be at about 4 with your cervix totally effaced and cooperating before the epidural can be given) I was then able to fall asleep again between the really bad contractions. The whole time all of this had been going on Shane had been rubbing my back and legs and basically doing anything I asked, he was wonderful- as well as my mom they both took turns rubbing my lower back which was the ONLY thing I wanted touched! I then began to feel long hard contractions with only a one or two minute break and the nurse came in and said that she was going to call my doctor and try to convince her that I needed to get the epidural. Thank God my nurse was able to talk her into it, I had to wait about 45 minutes with these horrid contractions to get the epidural. I was so scared to get it done up until this point, at this point you could have cut my leg off with a butter knife I it would have felt better than what I was going through! Everyone had to leave the room and the anesthesiologist came in and got set up, he was great, he talked me through the whole process and I got the numbing shot and felt the coldness of the epidural go in my spine but it felt good compared to the contractions, which by the way I was having through out getting the epidural and was scared because I was shaking from nerves, pain, and the Nubain! All went well and I was a happy camper in a matter of minutes- everyone came back in the room and I could actually carry on a conversation and sit up in bed! It was amazing, I highly recommend getting the epidural and anyone who goes all natural congrats to you and you are literally super women! This was around midnight I think when I got my epidural and then about one everyone left (both sets of parents were there) and I finally got some sleep and it was absolutely wonderful. All this time they were cranking up my Pitocen, I think I was at about 14 or 15 when I went to sleep and about every hour they moved it up a notch until finally I was at 20. It was about 6 am when I was at 20 on the Pitocen and my nurse came in and checked me at 6:15- I had finally been showing progress up until 6 and dilating at a good speed- she said wow I think you are at 10 cm but let me get another nurse to check you. I had been waking up since about 5 am because I was feeling contractions in the middle of my lower stomach and had to keep hitting the epidural button, by this time my legs were totally numb and I could barely control them, I could still wiggle my feet and move my left leg but not my right, my nurse had asked me at 6 if I wanted to hit the epidural button again and I said I did not want to because I did not want to be totally out if it during delivery. Good thing I did not hit it again because that second nurse came in and said I was definitely at 10 cm and she could feel the baby’s head! I was dead asleep when all of this was going on and barely awake for the exam, my nurse said to go back to sleep and that they wanted me to labor down on my own and she would be back at 6:45 to see what had happened. I was so looking forward to going back to sleep, however once the nurse left and I thought about being at 10 and the head being able to be felt I was no where near sleep…then the most incredible pressure I have ever felt in my life occurred. It was like I had to go to the bathroom but I knew I couldn’t but that was the sensation. I immediately called the nurse back in and said that I could not deal with this and that something was happening. Sure enough she checked again and had to call my doctor and other nurse back in (my doctor was sleeping) and they began to prepare for labor, bringing all the stuff in and setting up my bed and what not and I started to get very ancy because all I wanted to do was push and my doctor was still not there! I got to do a few practice pushes with the nurses and sure enough there was the head! Finally my doctor came in and we got the show rolling, I did about 3 more sets of three pushes and Abbey was here. It was amazing, my actual pushing part of labor was less than 20 minutes and it was the best thing in the world. I can’t even begin to describe it because it was a pain that you wanted to have so bad! I tore only a little bit when one of her shoulders came out but other than that small tear everything was perfect. Shane and my mom were by my side the whole time and were very supportive. I was very calm during labor and was told I did a great job by all who were in the room, I was not mean and nasty and only let one explicative out- amazing huh?

So that is the story and now we are all in the recovery room and doing just great, she is latching on with breast feeding for a few minutes but we are getting good remarks on that! Her stats were 7 lbs 11 ounces (she’s going to be a lucky girl in Vegas huh?), 22 inches long born at 6:56 a.m. and 8 and 9 on the Apgar. Her color was wonderful and not red and wrinkly at all, she is soft and pink and the most gorgeous baby ever, I am of course not partial to her at all. Beautiful baby girl!


beckyg said...

she is absolutely adorable! Good job shane...wait he didn't do all the hard work...good job Brook!

LauraB said...

Congrats! I've been checking your blog like crazy. Thanks for sharing your story and pics. It's totally amazing isn't it? Good luck in the next couple of weeks with getting adjusted, feedings and sleep. You'll be great!