Birthdays!

Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers Lilypie Second Birthday tickers

Tuesday, August 31, 2010

I am Free

Music has been having a big impact on my walk with Christ lately. Basically I listen to KLOVE all day long and each and every song I love. I really can't even tell you what other songs are popular anymore! I never ever in a million years thought I would say that, but it is true! For instance I know that if I turn on KLOVE that the song that my girls hear is not going to be "I'm in love with a stripper" which did indeed happen this weekend! So I thought that I would write maybe occasionally what song seemed to be speaking to me and this week it is "I am Free" by the Newsboys.

This song, to me, is all about the miracles of Christ. I have the hardest time explaining to people who are not Christian why I am. I was raised in a home that loved Christ and it has never crossed my mind to not believe. I believe in the Bible and the story it tells and I do think that it is our resource as to how we are to live our lives and to explain that blind faith to someone who has no faith is something I truly struggle with. But on to what I do not struggle with- how much God loves us. I used to take it all for granted and live my life the way I wanted and do what would benefit me the most. What could I do that would be the most fun for me, get it- see how many times I used "me"? Then the last few years as I became a wife and a mother I had different priorities, then I started to put others first and began to feel the joy that brings rather than focus on myself all the time- don't get me wrong I need "me" time still. This is the sacrifice that Jesus made for us- he never put himself first he put every single person that would ever be created first. We are given a choice to be free. I used to look at my old life as being free because I was doing what I wanted when I wanted no matter the consequences, now however I realize that was more of a prison sentence because of where my actions were sending me. I wasn't free because I was turning my back on the one thing that would set me free. I needed to find my path with Christ. I am free to worship how and where I want, I am free to teach my children about the God I love, I am free to voice my faith, I am free in more ways than I can count. How are you free? It has been an amazing last few years and things just keep making more sense, I see how the small things I am doing in my life are really having a huge impact on others and myself. I am sorry if I rambled on here and this wasn't of interest to you- 6 or 7 years ago I would not have had any interest in this but things happen in your life that change you and I guess I had a few of those moments slap me in the face and make me realize what is important! Here are the lyrics, and of course you could go to youtube and hear it!




Through you the blind will see
Through you the mute will sing
Through you the dead will rise
Through you our hearts will praise
Through you the darkness flees
Through you my heart screams I am free
I am free


I am free to run
(I am free to run)
I am free to dance
(I am free to dance)
I am free to live for you
(I am free to live for you)
I am free
(I am free)
Yes, I am free
(I am free)

Through you the blind will see
Through you the mute will sing
Through you the dead will rise
Through you our hearts will praise
Through you the darkness flees
Through you my heart screams I am free
I am free
Are you free?
I am free

2 comments:

Becky Grider said...

This all applies to my life EXACTLY!! thanks for putting my thoughts into words! :)

Susan J said...

Brook,

What a beautiful post full of amazing truths.

Amazing how being a wife and mom turns our focus from ourselves.

Amazing how music can touch our souls in so many ways, often the same song at different times in our lives, in different ways - just like this song has for me the past few years.

Amazing that our awesome God could love someone like me!

Your post has touched my heart tonight.

Thank you!

Stampy hugs,
Susan J