Birthdays!

Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers Lilypie Second Birthday tickers

Tuesday, December 18, 2012

Do you have a little extra this year?

I know I haven't written in a long time but I thought this was an appropriate reason to blog again.  As many of you faithful readers may remember my story of introducing myself to a homeless woman I drove past downtown for TWO years.  Yes it took me two years to work up the courage to talk to her.  Sad looking back on it now and knowing how much she needed our (my small bible study group) help.

If you don't know the story you can find the original one here-
http://zimmermanbaby.blogspot.com/2011/08/my-own-little-world.html

And then this is a post I published last Christmas about helping her-
http://zimmermanbaby.blogspot.com/2011/12/reason-for-season.html

So a quick update- My friend is still in the same house however my church and small group have provided some things to make life a little easier- we were able to get large heaters and electric blankets to help keep them warm.  We were able to fix their washer and find a used dryer and fix the breaker box so that they can now do laundry.  She has a car, although not reliable, and is able to make it to food pantries on occasion.

She has been approved for medical disability however she has discovered that she has many new medical problems.  She did get good news about dental coverage and she will be able to proudly smile again with the help of a great dentist who said he could help her.  Believe it or not she does smile a lot despite her situation.

The house still has a lot of problems, mold in the basement, drafty doors and windows and just plain run down.

This year I lost contact with her in August but I called her the week after Thanksgiving so we have been able to help with groceries and small necessities.  We are able to provide Christmas dinner and gifts for her and money so that she can go Christmas shopping for her children and pick out gifts herself- something she hasn't been able to do for years.

I asked her what she wanted for Christmas for herself and she said one thing- new bra's- she hasn't had a new one in over a year which would be the one we bought for her last Christmas.  I can't imagine wearing the same bra everyday for a year but she has.  She hasn't bought new clothes even from Goodwill since last year.

I am asking for donations of clothing for them- can be used but in good shape.  Below you will find their sizes.  I am also asking for anyone who would like to donate send me prepaid gas cards- she desperately needs to be able to get to Gleaners but isn't able to because of gas.  She is still standing on the same corner she has for the past 3+ years.  What she collects goes into her car for gas and to buy small amounts of food for her family and her medicine.  I would also ask for prepaid Visa/Master Cards.  That way she can buy clothes, medicine, groceries etc.  As I have said I have known her for a little over a year and I do not blink an eye at giving her cash because I honestly do not think that she uses it on drugs or alcohol.  She is a woman who has ended up in a really tough situation and right now I just feel that God is calling me to love her and provide what I can for her.

I know that this year we are lucky to have a little extra and we have been able to help out others in need, do you have a little extra to give?  If so and you would like to help my friend out please contact me via email or on Facebook.  If you would like to send me something in the mail please do so at 5429 Armstrong Ct Indpls IN 46237.  If you have donations that you need me to pick up please let me know.

I pray that you feel called to give this season even if it is not to this cause- whether it be monetary, your time, or your prayers.

Thanks for reading and I wish you all a very Merry Christmas.  God Bless

Sizes Needed-
Daughter-

Sizes 18w pants
xl shirts
size 9 panties
8 shoe
40 d bra, socks and underwear

Son-
pants sizes- 36x30
xl shirt
11 shoe

Mother-
sizes- 20-22
xxl
46 dd
9-10 shoe wide width needs to be the orthopedic type I think

I know that the Mom and Daughter have also asked for candles (pine) and lotions and body sprays (they will take used!!)  We all know how nice it is to smell good :)

No comments: